The Wilson's

The Wilson's

Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Night Before He Was Born

As this night comes to a close, I find myself wondering what the night before Jesus was born was like for Mary and Joseph.

Imagine as they had finished their long journey and found that the only place they could stay was a stable.  I often wonder if they felt excitement at just having somewhere 'semi' private to have their child.  After a 19 mile trip by donkey, I am sure Mary was happy just to lie down.

As a husband who has had three kids, I must say my first one was difficult.  I 'knew' about the process, had doctors and more there to assist, but here was Joseph with no doctors, possibly no mid-wife, and not a clue on how to boil water.  To make it even more so, he was charged with helping to deliver the Son of God...  no pressure at all.

While we continue our traditions each year: baking cookies, Christmas Eve Service, the Christmas Story, and more, I try to remember how blessed we are.  It is not because of what we have, or where we live (even if all that is really a big blessing) but it is instead the fact that Jesus was born 2000+ years ago, lived a perfect life, gave up his life willing, and rose from the dead three days later, so that I might have Hope, Love, Joy and Peace all in Him!


- Shawn

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that Joseph knew how to boil water. He was a man, but come on, he wasn't stupid. Even you can boil water (I think). LOL! I love you.

    ReplyDelete